This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Community bridge stopped working for me

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Hi all,

After a longish absense, I fired Agent once more. And I got error messages from ALL forums accessed through the community bridge.

I have downloaded and installed the newest version - no help.

I then noticed that the old version was not uninstalled, so I uninstalled both versions, then installed the new version - no help.

I tried prefetching the newsgroup list again, and that fails as well. As a result, the NG list in the bbridge window is now empty.

Here's the output I see in the debug window when I stop/start the bridge, then try the prefetch again:

LiveId: Try authentication
LiveId: UserName: hugo@perfact.info, Ticket: t=EwDgAZ(...)IB&p=
Create forums service provider: social
Create forums service provider: answers
Creating datasource for NNTP server
Starting NNTP server
Error during LoadNewsgroupsToStream (SupportedBrands): Exception:
Type System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]
Source: mscorlib
Message: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace: 
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetActiveBrands()
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetActiveBrands()
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.get_SupportedBrands()
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.LoadNewsgroupsToStream(Action`1 groupAction)
Error during LoadNewsgroupsToStream (SupportedBrands): Exception:
Type System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException
Source: mscorlib
Message: Er is een fout opgetreden bij de ontvangst van het HTTP-antwoord op http://services.answers.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc. Dit wordt wellicht veroorzaakt omdat de service-eindpuntbinding niet het HTTP-protocol gebruikt. Het kan ook veroorzaakt worden wanneer de server een HTTP-aanvraagcontext afbreekt (mogelijk omdat de server afgesloten wordt). Raadpleeg de serverlogboekbestanden voor meer informatie.
Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace: 
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetActiveBrands()
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetActiveBrands()
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.get_SupportedBrands()
   bij CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.LoadNewsgroupsToStream(Action`1 groupAction)Exception:
Type System.Net.WebException
Source: System
Message: De onderliggende verbinding is gesloten: Bij ontvangst is een onverwachte fout opgetreden.
Stack-Trace:
   bij System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   bij System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)Exception:
Type System.IO.IOException
Message: Kan geen gegevens lezen uit de transportverbinding: De externe host heeft een verbinding verbroken.
Stack-Trace:
   bij System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   bij System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   bij System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)Exception:
Type System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
Socket ErrorCode: 10054
Stack-Trace:
   bij System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
   bij System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

The Dutch error messages can be roughly translated as:

An error occured dwhile receiving the HTTP answer on http:services.answers.microsoft.com/ForumServicePreview/ForumService.svc. This may be caused by the service endpoint not using the HTTP protocol, or when the servers aborts a HTTP requerst context (e.g. because of server shutdown). See the server logs for more information.
Underlying connection closed: unexpected error while receiving.
Can't read data from transport connection: external host disconnected
The external host has disconnected.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

1. The answers forums does not support the NNTP bridge anymore; neither the MS one nor this one. For more infos see the main page

2. It seems that MS has also problem with the MSDN/Technet-Forums... 

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Looking in the forums support forum I've just seen this: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/11c2c29b-df9e-4f9a-b786-70f8feab3696

We have recently been experiencing some stability issues in the forums related to the NNTP Bridge and the web service it uses. For the time being the web service has been disabled until we can further investigate the issues and develop solutions. There is no need to report errors from the bridge until this issue is resolved. I will reply to this thread daily with status updates until the issue is resolved or further action is defined. Thanks for your patience.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Thanks for the link!

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I've now been running for about a day since seeing the message that it has been (quietly) re-enabled: all seems to be working for reading (I don't post via the bridge).