This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Any plans for Version 2?

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Hi,

are there any future plans for version 2 of the bridge? ;)

Bye

Norbert

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Hi Norbert,

do you have any hints or suggestions?

Greetings

Jochen

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for your reply.

yes I have some ideas. ;)

1. little bug with double [MVP] tag if the user uses [MVP] within his forum name.

2. cleanup the SQL database. F.I. global settings "purge articles older than xx days" or more granular with a per forum switch "purge articles older than xx days in this forum".

3. Performance ;)

Thats all for now. Hopefully I'm not the only user of version  2.

Bye

Norbert

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

"Hopefully I'm not the only user of version  2."

Where is Version 2? Maybe you *are* the only user since I never heard of a version 2..

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Fore more info see:
http://communitybridge.kalmbach.eu/LocalDB.html

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM

How do I create the account for that localDB version in Outlook Express?

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2010 at 7:22 AM
YOu just need to specify the correct port (121!?) in your newsreader...

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I've got as far in OE as having  been able to subscribe to the two 2 forums under the localDB server (set to port 121 as you suggested) that I had checked in the localLB  manage forums window after having let it get the messages ( it created a .db file at C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Application Data\Community\CommunityForumsNNTPServerLocalDB folder)  and in OE it shows the number of unread messages next to the forum name, but if I open one of the forums no messages are shown, OE is trying to connect  to the server but times out.

I also have community bridge 1 on port 119 and the MS answers bridge under port 120. Those work fine.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:31 AM

You're are true bridge fan, aren't you? Three bridges on one PC... ;)

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM

The only reason I have the MS answers NNTP bridge is because the Community bridge 1 messed up those forums, see

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=216293

I use the Community bridge 1 for technet forums. I had hoped that the localDB bridge would replace the other two. As currently I can't seem to get it to work properly I have removed it, pending further advice.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I can tell you, that it takes really a lot of time before something get into your newsreader for the first time. Can you verify, that the database is created correctly?

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I uninstalled it and deleted all foders and registry entries, but I'll try one more time.

I assume that as with the other bridges the server entry in OE account is 127.0.0.1 (local host)

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Yes that should be sufficent.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Finally success. After reinstalling the NNTP localdb bridge I only checked one forum, let the database complete, created the account in OE, closed OE and the localdb server, restarted both, was able to subscribe to that forum in OE and just as OE told me it was timing out again, the messages appeared!

I'll now try the other forums I want, one at a time, hoping gradually to replace the other two bridges..I'm backing up the OE data base between each attempt to add more forums.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Hi Jochen,

Any chance of adding X-Face support to this version of the bridge? Also, I'd kind of like to see an option that would let me choose which "types" of posts I want to see, for example, I might want to see all [MARKEDANSWER] but to ignore [CHANGED] [PROPOSEDANSWER] etc. I know I can do this with my reader but it might be handy to have the option in the bridge itself.

Thanks and great work!

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Hi Jochen,

after the release of verion v42, is there a chance to have those "fixes" and maybe any of the features above in a new release for V2? ;)

Bye

Norbert