This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Auto login does not work after restart

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Hi all.  Using v40

When I have to restart my machine, which is often as a beta tester, the auto login does not work, and does not present me with a login screen to log in manually.  When I try to Create a log in, it will not accept it.  This goes on for numerous tries, sometimes a day or more, then suddenly it will present a login screen and I can log in manually.  Once logged in, it will work fine until I restart again.  This  has only started since I installed the v40. All previous versions worked fine after restarts.

Is there any reason this is happening with the v40?

Jan :)

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:07 PM

No, there is no rreasong that this should start in v40...

Can you do the following:

- Start the NNTP Communit Bridge
- Go to "Tools|Advanced options..."
- Be sure that under "LiveId" the value of "AuthenticationBlob" is empty!
- Terminate the NNTP Community bridge
- Start is again
- Now it should present a LiveId login Dialog...
- After you successfully logged in, you can enabled the auto login (Tools|Create LiveId auto login).
- Then you can verify this by looking at the "AuthenticationBlob" in the advanced options...

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Hi Jochen,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I was finally presented a login screen and got the program working, and I checked the AuthenticationBlob before changing it as you instructed.  There is nothing in that line in the Advanced settings.  I then clicked on the Create LiveID and it did create the autologin. It is working now as it should.  The problem is, when I first restart the machine, it does not have anything in the AuthenticationBlob, and it will not present a login screen for me to create an autologin for numerous tries. I got lucky today, It only took since this morning from 6am to 12:25p for it to finally present the login screen. 

If it does not present the login screen there does not seem to be any way to create the LiveID for auto login.  That is what holds things up.  Is there perhaps a way to force the prompt login screen to come up to manually log in?  Like perhaps a button to force the prompt? Or is there an Option someplace that I am missing in the Tools or such?  I have looked but did not find anything like that.  This would eliminate a lot of wasted time and effort trying to get the screen to finally show up so I can log in and create the auto login setup.

BTW...I am seeing a lot more people using the codeplex bridge in the various forums. :-)

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

The LiveId API has a very bad API... so currently you need to do the described steps to "force" a login dialog.

Maybe I need to dig deeper into it to find the "whistle"...

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I do not use a 'Live' ID...I refuse to use _anyting_ that uses 'Live'.  My login info is a hotmail ID.  I don't know if that makes any difference, but, that is the ID that I have used for many, many years, that is what I use for the Community NNTP login. And, the screen that is presented for me to log in manually is the same as that which is used to log inot Messenger, Connect and other such websites. 

But, the _probelm_ is, when the auto login does not work, the log in screen is not immediately presented to manually log in, thus, I have to keep trying and trying and trying, somtimes for more than a day, before the manual login screen finally shows up for me to manually log in.  IMHO (and it seems at least one other person has responded in the MS NNTP newsgroup has same issue after a restart) there should be some means to call up the login screen to allow the user to re-log in, maybe just a button on the UI that you can c;lick to call up the login screen.   

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:22 AM

If the login dos not work, you need to exit and restart the bridge!

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Yes, I understand tha. I've been a beta tester of your bridge since yui first created it and posted it in the MS NNTP bridge newsgroup when the Microsodt bridge did not work right.  And I have used every version that you have put out since day one, so I am familar with the way it works, and until v40 I had no problems with the log in.  I have to close and restart the program numberous times before it will finally show the login screen again.