This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Replies in OE sometimes replaced by another unrelated reply

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2010 at 11:35 PM

This is a bit difficult to explain:-) and I don't know if it points to a bug in the bridge or elsewhere.

Using the bridge (v 1.1.38) in Outllook Express (on XP SP3) to view Answers.en-US forums, I have noticed that occasionally a reply to a thread is replaced by a different reply belonging to a different thread.

One example is a thread in Answers.en-US.xpinstall Viewed in IE 8 it looks like this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpinstall/thread/34a57478-f88f-465c-9a14-e9575bf342ed

At the time of posting this there are three replies to the original post, two by Jason Bagilsky and one by Palcouk.

In Outlook Express top pane (sorted by subject), there are also three replies shown under the thread's subject heading "Updates Kb979909, KB982168 and KB974417 for XP Professional", again two from Jason Bagilsky and one from Palcouk. However when the reply ostensibly from Palcouk is viewed in the lower pane or opened, its subject heading is "Re: Lost product key for windows XP 64" and is not from Palcouk, but another userID, and clearly belongs to a different thread. Palcouk's actual reply is missing (or maybe it is misplaced in some other thread -I haven't searched for it).

It does not appear to be possible to attach a screenshot here of what I see in OE, but I have one if it would help.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Problem ssolved by unsubscribing to that newsgroup, close OE (to ensure that the corresponding .dbx file gets deleted), open OE subscribe to the newsgroup again and let it redownload messages. They now appear under the correct subject headings.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM

But what would cause me having to do this every day or two? I just did it with Answers.en-US.w7performance yesterday, and now I have mis-linked(?) replies again today. This happens with OE6 on XP, and with WLM on Win7 (two different machines, not a virtual machine).

Thanks for any ideas!

Edit: I am using v1.1.40.0 of the bridge. And unfortunately, that unsubscribing and re-subscribing doesn't work with WLM. I'll have to look into a different method for it.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I agree, the problem persists.

I have tried setting synchronisation to All messages and  New messages only, but that does not appear to make any difference. Also the download from Community servers is very slow. For a popular news group such as Answers.en-US InternetExplorer (more than 91000 posts) it takes more than 24 hours if I resubscribe to get thew correct listing of the posts. That is unacceptable.

My questions is: is it the Microsfot servers or the Community NTTP bridge servers that are causing all these errors?

I noticed that the technet forums don't seem to syffer from this very severe problem.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I have now switched to the MS answers NNTP brige for the Answers.en-US forums. It updates much more quickly and has not so far mixed up posts in the way described in this thread.

I don't know if the develpers of the community forums NNTP bridge read these comments, but if they do maybe this is something they could/should look at.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I would be happe to hear from you, if you have used the MS bridge for a longer time. Normally both bridges behave the same way...

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I, also, will be interested to see if you continue to have better results with the MS bridge. I was thinking about going back to it, too, but I'll wait a couple of days for your success rate, if you don't mind answering later.

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Also, if you just use the answers-forums, you should disable the social-forums in the bridge:

Tools|Advanced Options...|Use Social forums: False

!

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the Community bridge? That was the reason I started using it; so I would have one bridge running instead of having to start and log in to two by using the MS Answers and Forums bridges separately.

If that's the answer, then I (and others) might as well just use the MS bridges if we have to use separate bridges for the Answers and Technet forums anyhow.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM
Edited Sep 22, 2010 at 1:37 AM

I use both Answers and Technet forums. Yes, it is a nuisance to use two bridges and I would much prefer to use only one. But I found that the mixed up messages in the answers forums made those forums unusable.

So far (after several sessions) the MS Answers bridge is synchronising (set to new messages only) without mixing up the messages and without duplicate messages (which I'd also observed with community bridge). Community bridge continues to behave correctly for the technet forums.

Don't know if this is significant, but the MS answers bridge uses port 120, the Community bridge uses port 119.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I deleted the w7performance and xpperformance groups (my most troubled groups) from the Answers forum, reinstated them, and set the sync to New Messages Only the day before yesterday, and have had no problems since, knock on wood.

I'll let you know if it doesn't continue to work.

P.S. Any idea how to reset the groups in Windows Live Mail under Win7? It certainly isn't like Outlook Express. I tried deleting them from 127.0.0.1 in my_user\appdata\etc\etc and that didn't do it.

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM

After trying numerous sync settings over the past couple of weeks, I found it made no difference at all. After 3 or 4 days at each setting, the replies begin to get mixed up again. :-(

Maybe the next release will address it. . .

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM

The bridge is not able to address this issue, because it is simply forwarding the messageId from the web-service to the news-client.

Also be aware, that for example Thunderbird 2.* mixes threads if the subject is the same...

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM

The MS Answers bridge does not have this problem with answers forums, but the community bridge does.

Presumably both bridges communicate with the same servers for the answers forums. Why then does the community bridge have this problem with answers forums?

So I do think it must be something wrong/fixable in thecommunity bridge.

The Community bridge does not have the problem for technet forums so I use it for those, but am staying with the MS answers bridge for the answers forums.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Do you have a screen-shot and the forum-name. Currently I am bot able to repro this problem...

Or can you repro this problem in the "answers.en-us.answerssandbox" forum?

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM
jkalmbach wrote:

Do you have a screen-shot and the forum-name. Currently I am bot able to repro this problem...

Or can you repro this problem in the "answers.en-us.answerssandbox" forum?

I can provide screen shots, but I don't know how to attach or insert them here, so I uploaded them to TinyPic

http://i55.tinypic.com/2s0yfpy.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/29p875x.jpg

In the first shot, you can see that the message is from jp300 and deals with an Nvidia driver problem. The second shot shows what you see when you open that post from jp300. Now it's from bentcursor and deals with a Word 2010 problem he is having.

I don't subscribe to the sandbox forum, so it would be a couple of days (if the errors follow true to form) before an error would show up.

The screenshots I have are from an XP box running OE6, but the same errors occur indentically on my Win7 notebook running WLM latest.

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Well, things have gotten even worse. I have at least a dozen posts and replies just from yesterday (10/13) that are incorrect. And previous days are even worse. Guess I'm going to have to go back to the MS Answers Bridge, much as I hate to.