Trailing space, then enter

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM
I'm using V37 and two different newsreaders to post. In one (an old version of Netscape), I can compose this: this is a test with spaces and linefeed after test. (There are a couple of spaces in that "this is a test " string. But when I read my post, I see this: this is a test with spaces and linefeed after test. The enter key has been lost to the (I think) nbsp characters at the end. If I use Thunderbird, I see: This a test with spaces and line feed after test. (It looks nice.) Is it possible to remove the trailing spaces on a line instead of changing them to nbsp. (Kind of a rtrim() in VBA???). One of my responses was broken because a line of code moved up to a previous line (which was a comment).
Jun 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Boy, that message didn't get formatted like I wanted.

But the problem is that trailing spaces followed by an enter key can be converted incorrectly using some (at least one!) newsreader.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Can you set the user setting "PostAreAlwaysFormattedFlowd" to "False"? And try again?

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

That kind of worked.

But lines that were just carriage returns were lost.

The message essentially lost all the white space (in both NS and TB).

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Wait.

The white space was lost using TB, not NS.

When I used TB, the blank lines before the signature were lost.  And the -- signature characters showed up on the same line as the my signature, but with a leading white space:

this is a test
with trailing spaces after that test.
 -- Dave Peterson

In NS, it looked right:

This is a test  
with trailing spaces after that test.

--

Dave Peterson

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM

"the blank lines before the signature were lost."

Was this a "real" blank line or was this a line with one white space?

Josef

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I went back to test again (in Answers.en-US.answerssandbox) and I couldn't duplicate the problem.

Hmmmm.

I don't have a guess what I did do make the message test37c appear that way.

I guess the answer is nevermind until I see the same problem???

Sorry.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM

example:

"text" + enter
" " + enter
"-- " + enter
"text"

Maybe this text (without ") creates:

"text"
" -- text"

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM

JosefP,

That looked ok, too in both NS and TB.

I was wondering if there could have been a delay between the time when I changed that PostAreAlwaysFormattedFlowd value and the time it took affect (different delays in different newsreaders???).