Agent 6.0 Compatibility Problem

May 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Any messages posted with the Community Bridge are virtually unreadable using Forte's Agent 6. (Haven't tried on older versions of Agent.)

The problem is that all lines are run in together, without any newlines or breaks at all, just one continuous line. This used to be a problem that the MS bridge had, but they fixed this bug in the final build. But now it's back with the Community Bridge.

It doesn't appear to matter what build of the Community Bridge was used to post the message. I verified against at least builds 10 and 13.

Charlie.

May 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM
CRussel wrote:

Any messages posted with the Community Bridge are virtually unreadable using Forte's Agent 6. (Haven't tried on older versions of Agent.)

The problem is that all lines are run in together, without any newlines or breaks at all, just one continuous line. This used to be a problem that the MS bridge had, but they fixed this bug in the final build. But now it's back with the Community Bridge.

It doesn't appear to matter what build of the Community Bridge was used to post the message. I verified against at least builds 10 and 13.

Charlie.

Charlie... posting a sample of a raw message source (as seen from Agent) here would be of great help imHo

May 29, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Here is what Agent displays as the source of a message posted by the Community
bridge:

yes, and yes, I believe.<br/>
<br/>
-- <br/>
Charlie.<br/>
<a href="http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel"
target="_blank">http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel</a><br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
&quot;Barb Bowman&quot; <br/>
&lt;3593e873-3f5a-4201-8bd0-6e127a58c1c8@communitybridge.example.net&gt; wrote
in
<br/>
message <br/>
news:641fb31d-e7dd-4414-b4de-192e1570e8a6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...<br/>
&gt; can Server 2008r2 work in IPv6 only networks?<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt; Win 7 ?<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt; On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:48:53 &#43;0000, Bodhi Deb - MSFT wrote:<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt;&gt;As Sean mentioned, next version is the best we can offer right now. Vail
<br/>
&gt;&gt;currently isnt designed to work in IPV6 only networks<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/>
&gt; Barb Bowman<br/>
&gt;<br/>
&gt; <a href="http://www.digitalmediaphile.com"
target="_blank">http://www.digitalmediaphile.com</a><br/>
&gt; <br/>
<br/><hr class="sig">Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

Here is what Agent displays as source for the NNTP bridge:

<div>can we have some more info? who is your new provider? what exact cable set
top</div>
<div>box? did you rerun TV Setup?</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:30:05 &#43;0000, Bkjfk wrote:</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&gt;Recently I changed my tv provider from Direct Tv to our local provider.
I am not able to use the HP remote that came with my computer, so I use the
remote that came with my new cable to change channels. But the response time is
so slow, any ideas how
to speed this up. It worked fine before. Thanks </div>
<div>&nbsp;</div><hr class="sig">Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com

and here is what Agent displays as source for messages posted via the web
interface:

<p>Hi all</p><p>I am having problems getting my media center to see my virgin
media box, well more to the point its the IR blaster I can see the TV on my MC
but can not change channel My Virgin box is a Samsung SMT 2110c when I try to
program the channel numbers in the IR Blaster will not react to the Vigin remote
I have tryed 2 remotes but to not much success.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Many Thanks 4
All the help.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Ian</p>

May 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I think that MS stopped using BR tags completely to fix the issue..

May 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Edited May 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Sounds like "agent" isn't correctly interpreting the <br/> tag, probably either <br> or <br /> may solve the issue; it would be interesting to see the source from the same message fetched using the Microsoft bridge to see if the MS Bridge handles that in a different fashion and how

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hi!

The MS Bridge uses <div>...</div> for each line... should I also switch to this?

Greetings
  Jochen

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM

By the way: Can you try one thing?

- Post a message via the Forums Web-Interface with teh follwoing text:

Some Test, then Press Shift-Returns and some other text

And please post what agent is displaying; I assume it will also display only one line, because Shift-Return will emmit an <br/> tag...

May 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM

As predicted, it shows as one continuous line.

May 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM
jkalmbach wrote:

Hi!

The MS Bridge uses <div>...</div> for each line... should I also switch to this?

Greetings
  Jochen

well, for me to be able to use Agent, and for other Agent users, I would hope this would resolve the issue. I think that is how MS resolved it.

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM
Edited May 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Would you like to test the new version with Agent?

It should be resolved with V14!

May 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM

YES!

Assume you mean V14..

downloading now...

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM

YES ;)

Von: barbbowman [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Gesendet: Samstag, 29. Mai 2010 21:35
An: jochen@kalmbachnet.de
Betreff: Re: Agent 6.0 Compatibility Problem [communitybridge:214289]

YES!

Assume you mean V14..

downloading now...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (communitybridge@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email communitybridge@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 30, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Running v15 now. So far, looks good in Agent.

May 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Charlie, I cannot download ALL posts in:

answers en us w7music

answers en us w7network

answers en us w7 pictures

techent en us w7itpromedia

technet en us w7 itpronetworking (retreiving up to 24259 headers times out and does not bring down anything)

so then I tried to sample 200 headers from itpronetworking. that works.

I had my timeout at 900 seconds. that setting was sufficient for the MS NNTP bridge.

I'll go set the timeout to 9000, but the MS bridge brings these down pretty fast at 4am EDT.

May 30, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I CAN bring down answers en us mediacenter and microsoft en us whsvailbeta, but these groups have under 2500 total posts.

I just set up two clean instances of Agent.

I used the MS 2 bridges and brought down ALL posts within 11 minutes in ALL these groups.

The community bridge keeps timing out and will only bring down mediacenter and whsvailbeta

It feels good when I stop beating my head against this brick wall so I will stop.

Remember, I have a 100+ Internet connection...

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 9:38 AM

WHICH version are you using?

The download of more than about 200 articles at once is only supported starting from V14!

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Hi barbbowman!

Until now, I only send the data to the client, after I have finished the *whole* download of articles. In my new version (V16) I will send the data to the client, while I am downloading from the server. This should then fix your problems.

Greetings
  Jochen

May 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM
jkalmbach wrote:

Hi barbbowman!

Until now, I only send the data to the client, after I have finished the *whole* download of articles. In my new version (V16) I will send the data to the client, while I am downloading from the server. This should then fix your problems.

Greetings
  Jochen

I was using 15 which I downloaded this morning. 

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

V16 should now fix this probem, and also fixes the PlainTextToHtml converter, whcih was nat working after a restart of the bridge.

May 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM
jkalmbach wrote:

V16 should now fix this probem, and also fixes the PlainTextToHtml converter, whcih was nat working after a restart of the bridge.

looks like this did fix the issue. I'm bringing down ALL messages - one group at a time, and no time outs so far.  Two Answers groups that I couldn't retrieve all with V15 both completed (w7music and w7 network).

thanks again..

May 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM
jkalmbach wrote:

got all messages, ALL groups.. very quickly too.