This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Service Manager Forums not visible

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Hi there,

any idea why the Service Manager Forums are not visible within the Community Forums NNTP bridge?

The forums are located here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/servicemanager

I have freshly installed the bridge and can find all other forums - except the ones above

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM
How often have you tried to refresh the newsgroups list from within the bridge?
It is a known bug of the web service that sometimes some groups are not returned... You need to re-read the groups several times to get the full list...

Von: fope
Gesendet: 01.11.2011 21:04
An: jochen@kalmbachnet.de
Betreff: Service Manager Forums not visible [communitybridge:277933]

Hi there,

any idea why the Service Manager Forums are not visible within the Community Forums NNTP bridge?

The forums are located here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/servicemanager

I have freshly installed the bridge and can find all other forums - except the ones above

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Hi Jochen,

I've tried it last week while I have installed the bridge approx. 10 times (once). Than a few hours later a few times, the last day a few times and now again a few times. Still the SCSM Forums do not appear.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Ha, unbelievable. Have done it 30 times and nothing happens and know I got the first one. The "General" Forum is now visible - the others not. Will try it again and again - anyway thanks!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM

For me, all of the forums are visible!

I don’t see any problems…

Technet.en-us.systemcenterservicemanager

technet.en-us.customization

technet.en-us.setup

technet.en-us.dwreportingdashboard

technet.en-us.itilmofprocesses

a.s.o.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM
jkalmbach wrote:
How often have you tried to refresh the newsgroups list from within the bridge?
It is a known bug of the web service that sometimes some groups are not returned... You need to re-read the groups several times to get the full list...

Johann... I had the very same issue with some groups (ok, forums); the issue isn't new, since I experienced it sometimes with past version and, usually, forcing a "refresh" cured it, but it sounds like with latest version (not sure if it's the bridge or some Microsoft "fix" :D) some forums don't show up at all, I even checked the XML file used by the bridge to keep the groups list (%AppData%\Community\......\UICache.xml) and the "missing groups" aren't listed there either !

Notice that it mainly happens with "technet" forums in my case, as an example, the forum below doesn't show up in the list (nor inside the XML file)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/it-IT/windowsserverit

I think that, while it may be due to some bug in the Microsoft web service, it may be interesting and useful to debug the bridge to see why it's "missing" those forums and possibly to find some workaround to let it fetch all the forums (assuming it may be possible, by the way) :-) Uh... and... is there a way to force the bridge to log "debug" infos (verbose will be ok) to some file ? If so, how do I go for that ? See, I'm trying to look at what happens behind the scenes and possibly help you and the others tracking this issue

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Forgot, if I click the "refresh" button the bridge fetches the groups and reports in the "status" label "1909 newsgroups" but if I then open the XML file and check the entries, there are only 1545 entries in there, I think there may be a bug in the bridge too <sigh>

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM

The Bridge does not have a bug.... as I mentioned in other places, the web-service has *two* bugs:

1. It randomly does not return forums which are present
2. It randomly repeats forums which then are duplicate

The status-Infos shows the number of returned forums (1909) and in the cache I only save unqiue names (1545).

So both bugs are related to the web-service.... please feel free to contact Brent so solve this problem....
This problem was many times posted in the "reportabug" forum, but there was never an answer. *Please* report this bug again and wait and see... If I post a bug, I have the feeling that my posts will automatically be ignored by Brent...

Msdn.en-US.reportabug

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM
> From: jkalmbach
>
> The Bridge does not have a bug.... as I mentioned in other places, the
> web-service has *two* bugs:1. It randomly does not return forums which
are
> present 2. It randomly repeats forums which then are duplicateThe
> status-Infos shows the number of returned forums (1909) and in the
> cache I only save unqiue names (1545).So both bugs are related to the
> web-service.... please feel free to contact Brent so solve this
> problem.... This problem was many times posted in the "reportabug"
> forum, but there was never an answer. *Please* report this bug again
> and wait and see... If I post a bug, I have the feeling that my posts
> will automatically be ignored by Brent...Msdn.en-US.reportabug

Hello, Jochen !

I see, now, given what you wrote, I wonder if the issue (bug) may be the
same one I experienced while "playing" with the BING API; in that case,
I was using the API to retrieve all the infos about a given webserver
(IP)
those infos were returned as XML data and I had to page through them
by incrementing an "offset" ... well, I found that if I (as logic
suggests)
I incremented the offset by the number of retrieved entries, the XML
misteriously "skipped" some data which would otherwise have been
returned... at that point after banging my head about that behaviour
and about missing and/or duplicate (yes duplicate too) entries I decided
to cut it short and increasing the offset by 1 (one) ... this by the way
meant that retrieving the result took a longer time, but, on the other
hand, I was able to retrieve ALL the result and then I just had to deal
with removing the duplicate entries from the temp file I generated and
creating the resulting "clean" output file :)

I wonder if it may be worth trying to do the same with the bridge...
I mean... what about adding an option to the config panel to allow
changing the "group fetch size"; that entry should be either "0"
that is "use the current mechanism" or "1" that is, increment the
offset by one
Nov 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM

You can easily try out and change the source:

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases/view/76787#DownloadId=303443

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM
jkalmbach wrote:

You can easily try out and change the source:

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases/view/76787#DownloadId=303443

Hm... ok, but before doing so, I think I may put together some very simple code to try fetching the list of groups ;-)

As a note, I "discovered" a quite interesting behaviour

If you start "fresh" the bridge and click the "prefetch" button, it will proceed fetching the groups list and report 1909 as the total count; if then you click again the "prefetch" the bridge will instead report a lower number which matches the number of groups stored inside the XML file; not just that, in some cases the bridge DOES effectively download some of the "disappearing" groups but if you then use a news client (or even telnet) to list the available group... that group will NOT be there (not listed !); the latter happened to me only a couple times while trying to check this issue and I was then unable to reproduce it so it doesn't seem to be consistent (sorry)