Programmatically entering your username/password, and starting as a service

May 31, 2010 at 4:43 PM

These are the two main things I'd like to be able to do.  My goal (if these or at least the username/password are possible) is to install the bridge on my Windows Home Server, and point there from my desktops.  In order to do it though, I would need to be able to start it as a service (which I know there are workarounds --srvany that will allow it), and pro grammatically add my username and password (since I won't be logged in, and can't enter my liveID).

Will either of these be available, and if they already are, how do we configure them?  On a slightly related note, a "Start with Windows" option would be good too. 

Have a great day:)
Patrick.

May 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM
That would be possible only changing the bridge to accept user/pass from the newsreader and then pass them to the LiveID logon; the alternative of setting up the bridge and allowing the logon dialog to save the credentials isn't a good idea imHo since in such a case ALL the machines using the bridge as a "central server" would post on the forums using the same, single username That said, imVVHo such a feature may be kept in the backburner since I think there are more important ones still floating
Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Hi Patrick,

in the next version I have an autologin for LiveId ;) So no dialog is presented ;)

Greetings

Jochen

Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 5:18 PM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 5:18 PM

By the way: By default I only binds to 127.0.0.1, which does not allow access from outside. If you want to access the bridge from outside, you can change the setting "BindToWorld=True"; in the new "Advanced Settings" dialog ;)

May 31, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Two more questions for you then.

1) Can you run multiple instances of the CommunityNNTPServer on one computer (with each one pointing to a separate port and separate LiveID)?

2) If you're compiling from source, could you specify an IP address instead of having it bind to localhost (or 127.0.0.1)?  Since most people who would use it as a server will have a static IP address, I mean.

I should also clarify the pro grammatically was intended to mean that the user could pass the LiveID/Password in as arguments when they run the program.  For example just running the shortcut as it is, will prompt for the dialog box (except in the new version where it will autologin), but adding something like /username=liveID /password=Password would autologin with those credentials.

Have a great day:)
Patrick.

Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 6:17 PM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Hi Patrick,

1) currently only one instance is allowed. But this can be changed in a future version…

But you can run it under different user-accounts; this should now be possible…

2) Currently it will bind to 127.0.0.1 or to 0.0.0.0 (if you specify BindToWorld=True).

3) There is no API to enter the username/password… so even if I had a command line, there is no way to pass this to the LiveId. So currently the only solution is to use different user accounts.

Greetings

Jochen

May 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM
jkalmbach wrote:

2) Currently it will bind to 127.0.0.1 or to 0.0.0.0 (if you specify BindToWorld=True).

Could it also bind to ::1 or :: (with BindToWorld)?

Thanks!

Julien ÉLIE

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 5:39 AM

What does "::1" and "::" mean?

.NET only knows about:
* IPAddress.Any
* IPAddress.Loopback
* IPAddress.IPv6Any
* IPAddress.IPv6Loopback
* IPAddress.Broadcast

And specific addresses...